facebook-style twitter image tagging was introduced earlier this year.* can (and should) marketers use the feature for targeting and to expand the reach of select posts?
twitter image tagging
- pro: tagged user gets an alert with link to that post
- pro: tagged handles don’t count against character limit
- con: tweet is (probably) not displayed to tagged user’s followers
- con: only possible (as of fall 2014) using native twitter app
the absence of support for third party social posting managers like hootsuite or my trusty buffer limits the scalability of this tactic, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I think the real value is as a microtargeted outreach effort – for an influencer connection or a top prospect/client – with high value content in combination with the usual channels.
have you used twitter image tagging to to target social posts personally or professionally? share your experience in the comments!
* if you don’t want to be singled out in this way, you can just say no. twitter’s security & privacy settings let users opt out altogether or restrict tagging to users you follow.